A son of working-class immigrants, Ricky grew up in rural North Carolina and is a product of public schools. A first-generation college student, Ricky’s dream finally came true when he was accepted into UNC-Chapel Hill as a Morehead-Cain Scholar. He found his passion for public service while at UNC, mentoring other high school students who grew up in similar circumstances and were working hard to make their own dreams come true. He attended graduate school at Princeton University, focusing on how to create effective public policy to fight poverty and inequality and build strong, vibrant communities.
After a brief time as a consultant and policy analyst supporting nonprofits and foundations across the country, Ricky became an instructor at UNC Chapel Hill and is co-executive director of an education initiative helping other first-generation college students and immigrant families break down barriers to educational opportunity.
Ricky’s leadership in the community does not end there. Beyond fighting to expand access to quality public education and college opportunity, Ricky holds a number of community leadership positions in his pursuit to build a better future for all children and families across North Carolina, including:
- Governor’s Cooper DRIVE Task Force to advance education equity and teacher diversity across North Carolina;
- Board of Directors for the Alamance Partnership for Children, an initiative that supports early childhood initiatives, including Smart Start, designed to ensure that young children enter school healthy and ready to succeed.
- Board of Directors for Alamance Eldercare, a non-profit human services agency committed to improving the lives of those striving to meet the challenges of aging.
- Member of the Superintendent’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee for Alamance Burlington School System (ABSS);
- Steering Committee for Alamance Achieves, an innovative county-wide education initiative;
- Commissioner for MyFutureNC, a commission to advance college attainment and workforce development across North Carolina;
- Board Member of the United Way of North Carolina;
- Former Vice-Chair of the Board of Directors for NC Child, a statewide child advocacy organization.
Ricky is ready to lead North Carolinians towards a more just and equal North Carolina. Join us as we build a better future for our families, together.